What is a Complying Development Certificate (CDC)?

A complying development certificate is an alternative to lodging a Development Application with the council. It is sometimes referred to as a ‘fast-tracked’ DA and can be issued if a proposed development complies with relevant NSW planning and building controls. The CDC must be obtained before any building work commences, including site works such as demolition and excavation.

To determine if you can proceed with a CDC, a thorough assessment of your plans and documentation against the NSW planning and building requirements needs to be carried out. Yass Valley Building Certifiers provide this service.


  1. Get detailed plans drawn for your proposed building works.
  2. Obtain a council 10.7 certificate, which specifies the land-based requirements and any exclusions.
  3. Email your plans and 10.7 certificate to requesting a CDC pre-assessment.
  4. On receipt of these documents, we will advise you of bank details to pay the $250 assessment fee.
  5. Send a copy of payment advice to Yass Valley Building Certifiers.
  6. We will assess your documentation and advise if the development can be approved as a CDC or it requires a council DA. Following the CDC pre-assessment, if you decide to submit a full application to Yass Valley Building Certifiers, the assessment fee paid will be deducted from the full fee quoted for your development.

What is a Development Application (DA) and Construction Certificate (CC)?

If your proposed building works are outside the scope of a CDC, you will need to lodge a DA with the council. Council will assess your application and provide a development consent. If you have development consent after submitting a DA to the council, you will require a Construction Certificate (CC) before you can start building work. A CC confirms building plans comply with the BCA and comply with relevant conditions of the development consent. A CC must be obtained before building work commences. Without one, you may not be able to obtain an occupation certificate at the completion of building work.

What is a Principal Certifier (PC)?

A Principal Certifier (PC) is the only person or body who can issue an Occupation Certificate (whole or part). The PC inspects work during construction to ensure that it is consistent with the approved plans and is fit to occupy having regard to required building standards. Only the person with the benefit of development consent (usually the landowner) can appoint the PC. You must appoint your PC before work commences.